Thursday, February 11, 2010

First Attempt at Chicago Style

One of the most controversial pizza styles is Chicago Style deep dish. Ask someone from New York and they'll tell you "Chicago style is not pizza."

I've been making homemade pizza for a while now and it's generally been your basic "American" pie. Now that we own a stand mixer I've been eagerly trying out new dough recipes.  This was my first real "branching out" of the American style. Boy was it different!

Rachel subscribes to Cook's Illustrated, and they just happened to have an article about Chicago style deep dish in their January/February 2010 issue (link). With a little prodding from Rachel I decided to try it. Good decision.

They have a recipe for both dough and sauce, but because I already had a jar of sauce I made, I decided to use that.  Next time, I'll try the sauce recipe they include. Mine is smoother, but for Chicago Style you really need something with at least some tomato chunks. With mine it was too runny, and the sauce flavor dominated the dish.

Basically, you make the dough in the mixer (Kam assisted - he's such a good little helper), then let it rise for an hour or so at room temperature. Then you roll it out flat, butter it, roll it up tight, flatten it, split it, fold it, and let it rise in the fridge for another 40-50 minutes.

It makes two 9-inch pies, I made one cheese and one pepperoni, though it's kinda hard to tell them apart once assembled (the one on the top is the pepperoni).  It was very good on the first try...never going to Uno Chicago Grill (for deep dish) again. :-)  But first, we have a bunch of leftovers to get through.

The Cook's Illustrated Recipe can be found here. Full set of pictures below.

Kal

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I may have to give this a try, I've been making home made pizza to save some... dough (pun intended)...pics look great!

Kal said...

Thanks Amanda, definitely give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out! I make homemade to save some dough as well, and because in many cases it tastes better!

Post a Comment

 
© Copyright 2010 by Kalvin Miller  |  Template by Blogspot tutorial